Tibooburra, formerly known as The Granites, began as a gold-rush town when gold was discovered early in the 1880s in the region known as the Albert Goldfields. This extended from Mt Browne, Milparinka, Mt Poole through to "The Granites".
In those early days the township was described as" a conglomerate township, the building stone of the district being a fine sandstone having been made liberal use of its construction, as well as galvansied iron, packing cases and their metal linings..."
The Tibooburra Hotel is an elegant two-storey sandstone building on the corner of Briscoe and Wills Street. It is the oldest of the two hotels left remaining in Tibooburra and was built of locally cut sandstone in 1882. The sandstone was transported to town by horse and cart and then hand-cut and hand- chipped to form the beautiful stone structure which remains today.
The first licensee of the Tibooburra Hotel was Mary Kelly, followed by William Robinson, 1882-1883, Patrick Francis in 1884, and Henry Treanor in 1895. A succession of licensees have followed. During its lifetime the hotel has undergone several name changes, from the Albert Hotel to the Royal Hotel and back to the Tibooburra Hotel. Locally it is known as the "Two-Storey"
The hotel would have been used by locals and travelers alike, with Cobb and Co coaches carrying mail and passengers twice a week to the town.
Tibooburra Weather Outback
Road Conditions (Including Greater Outback NSW)
The Pilliga Newell Hwy between Coonabarabran and NarrabriBUSH FIRE
Started 18/01/2018 10:25pm, last checked today 8:32pm Website: Impact: Traffic affected in both directions. Attending: RFS Advice: Reduced speed limit (80km/h)
Allow extra travel time
Other Info: There are two locations where a reduced speed limit of 80km is in place. Location: View on map